History

In 1871 the charter meeting was held to form the “Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church” in Marshalltown, Iowa. This first church started with 70 members. They purchased the old Episcopal church building at 16 East State Street to serve as their worship center.

Twenty years later (1891) they purchased two lots at the corner of Church and Third Streets and constructed their new church and parsonage at that site. The first English language services were introduced in evening meetings starting in 1917. Morning services were still conducted in English. In 1921 the church celebrated its 50th anniversary. The name was changed to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. Several years later, all services were conducted in English.

About 1958, the site of the present church was purchased and plans were made to construct a two-story circular structure with a folded roof. This would serve as a temporary church and later it would be used as an educational unit. This building was completed in 1961. The present A-frame sanctuary adjoining the round building was constructed in 1970. A grand Centennial Celebration was held in the newly completed sanctuary. There were 370 members at that time. During 1993-94, an extensive remodeling program was undertaken. The sanctuary was completely redecorated and included the installation of contemporary stained glass windows in the nave. Present membership is 900.

 OUR OUTREACH

  • A partnership with Anson Middle School was formed in 1993. Through this partnership, the church provides an annual Back-to-School breakfast, scholarships for students to participate in various activities, and works with Anson on various projects within the school and community.
  • The first Homeless Shelter opened in 1993 in the lower level areas. It operated at this location for three years before moving to our original church building at Third and Church Streets. Our Pastor, Gregg Davison, serves as the President of this ministry known as the “House of Compassion”.
  • A Free Medical Clinic opened in the lower level in November of 1995. This was a partnership venture with Marshalltown Medical and Surgical Center. Services were provided by volunteer nurses, doctors and members of the various supporting churches. In the Spring of 2003, the clinic was phased into Primary Health Services again at MMSC.
  • In August of 1996, the “Teen Parent Center” opened in a portion of the main floor of our church. This was a partnership venture with the Marshalltown High School which made it possible for teen parents to complete their education and graduate. In the fall of 2001, this was merged with Northside Day Care.
  • In May of 2001, we began a joint venture with Youth & Shelter Services of Marshall County to have the “New Hope Host Home” housed in our previous parsonage. This, once again, was an effort to make it possible for teen moms to complete their education. We continue in this endeavor at the present time.
  • The first Homeless Shelter opened in 1993 in the lower level areas. It operated at this location for three years before moving to our original church building at Third and Church Streets. Our Pastor, Gregg Davison, serves as the President of this ministry known as the “House of Compassion”.

Our Pastors since 1875 have been:

  1. V. Vestling
  2. P.A. Philgren
  3. P. Ahlquist
  4. E. Cesander
  5. T. Thorell
  6. V. Carlson
  7. A. Frost
  8. Parson
  9. A. Lindvall
  10. Carlson
  11. A. Henry
  12. P. Warner
  13. Carl Henderson
  14. E. Chester
  15. Reuben K. Youngahl
  16. Albert Tinberg
  17. Ray B. Carlson
  18. Grenville Christensen
  19. Edwin S. Carlon
  20. Hugo Soderstrom
  21. R. Christenson
  22. Suhr
  23. Marvin Johnson
  24. Warren Johnson
  25. Gregg Davison